Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Devotional Snapshot 74 - Bonkers

Mad hatter: "I'm frightened, Alice. I don't like it in here. It is terribly crowded. Have I gone mad?"

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You are entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are."
From the movie: Alice in Wonderland

"I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in darkness." John 12:46

And so, as Alice would say, I sometimes feel I've gone 'round the bend, I'm mad, bonkers, off my head. Isn't it wonderful to know that Jesus came for you and me even in our craziness? As the verse reminds us He came into the world as the Light.

When He enters in nothing stops Him from turning up the lamp of His righteousness and little by little dispelling the darkness of my soul. See what the verse says-- anyone believing in Jesus can not stay in darkness. Christ's life thrusts darkness out. Darkness can not stay where Jesus lives.

Lilias Trotter, missionary to Algerian Muslims from the 1880's till 1928, wrote of a little girl named, Melha. She came with her blind father to see Lilias's pictures of Jesus. One was of the Lord calling a little child to Him.

"Look at Jesus, Father!"

"I have no eyes, my daughter, I cannot see," was the answer.

Melha lifted her father's head and turned her eyes to Jesus and said: "O Jesus, Look at Father." Was that not a bit of heavenly wisdom?

I may be blind to Jesus, but He is not blind to me. I may feel feather-headed and scatter-brained, but Christ clears the cob-webs. I may be as mad and as worried as the Hatter, but Christ assures us that we belong to Him and are a peculiar and special people.


Thank you, Father, that You have promised that whoever believes in Jesus can not abide or stay in darkness. That once we belong to You, You keep us in Your sight and work Your life into ours.

I Peter 2:9 "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.;"

Do you feel a little bonkers today? Take heart! All the best people are!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, this is right along the book I am reading. Dating With Pure Passion. The author is quick to point out that we need no human relationships. We are fully accepted and loved no matter what. As He formed us, He loved us. Very lovely, Aunt. *huggles*

    ReplyDelete