Friday, April 22, 2011

Devotional -Snapshot 84 New Covenant

"God gives a fixed order to the natural creation, and it is just as impossible for the new covenant to cease as it is for the natural order to cease." ESV commentary

"Behold the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah....I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people...Thus says the LORD, who gives the sun for light by day and the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar- the LORD of hosts is His name; If this fixed order departs from before me, declares the LORD, than shall the offspring of Israel cease from being a nation before me forever."
Jeremiah 31: 31, 33, 35, 36

As I sat on the beach of Maui these verses had a particularly powerful meaning. I watched the faithful, persistent, sure crash of the waves against the shore. God says as the stars and moon dependably light the night and the ocean waves steadily roar so surely is His promise to bring a new eternal covenant.

Easter is over, but the lingering promise is that He will always be our God and we will always be His children because of the eternal forgiveness that is possible through Jesus. And once forgiven, forever forgiven. As sure as I count on the next wave to slap the shore so confident I am that God can save me and keep me. The way to heaven is through Jesus and all who trust Jesus can rest in the covenant keeping God.

We thank You, Father, for making a new covenant with us and for saving us. Though we are faithless, You remain faithful, because You cannot deny Yourself. 2 Timothy 2: 13

No comments:

Post a Comment