Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Devotional 88 Christmas Resolve

"I shall open my eyes and ears. Once every day I shall simply stare at a tree, a flower, a cloud, or a person. ...I shall joyfully allow them the mystery of what C. S. Lewis calls their 'divine, magical, terrifying and ecstatic' existence." Clyde Kilby, professor at Wheaton College...Oct.22, 1976

Psalm 19:1 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork."

The above quote was from a lecture given at Wheaton College by Professor Kilby who actually gave 10 resolves that he was determined to live by. This was resolve #6. This is the one resolve I wish to practice for the month of December.

I resolve to pause each day and look at the beauty of Christmas. To see in it the divine magic and wonder of God coming to earth.

When I have been busy cooking and cleaning, I will stop for a moment and go outside (whether raining or snowing, blowing wind, or frosty sunny) and I will breathe in the crisp air and look up and thank God.

On days I spend playing with a child I will look at their sparkly eyes and rosy cheeks and kiss them and thank God for such a creation as babies and children. For our Great God and Savior was a child.

When I hear Christmas music while busily shopping I will stand still for a moment and really listen to it even as others whip around me. For Psalm 100 says "Come before His presence with singing. Know that the LORD, He is God;"

When I light my candles I will say: "Lord Jesus, You are the Light of the world, come to save sinners such as me."

When I rub shoulders with friends and family and enemies, I will (as the quote above suggests) see them with a little more terrifying, ecstatic, divine magic as a creation of God for a purpose. Just as in the Christmas story the shepherds, the wise men, and even Herod played a decreed, divine role given by God.

So I resolve to pause, look, and listen. Will you do that with me? In your busy schedule will you allow for a little magic? Today the heavens are declaring the glory of God!

Luke 1:46 "My soul magnifies the Lord, and spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior."

No comments:

Post a Comment