Thursday, September 25, 2014

Devotional 120 - Live Between the Steps


The young man told the professor about his tour of duty in Vietnam, about how he served with a mine detection unit whose job it was to clear territory of mines left by the Viet Cong. He spoke of how he had witnessed some of his buddies blown apart or maimed for life.
I learned to live between the steps,” he said. “I never knew whether the next one would be my last, so I learned to get everything I could out of the moment between when I picked up my foot and when I put it back down again. Every step I took was a whole new world, and I guess I’ve just been that way ever since.” Told by Mark Fox
Uphold my steps in Your path, that my footsteps may not slip.” Psalm 17:5
Direct my steps by Your word...” Psalm 119:133
Does He not see my ways, and count all my steps?” Job 31:4
See the that you walk carefully, not as fools, but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.” Ephesians 5:15


I want to be like the young soldier above who having seen his buddies blown up because of a misstep on a land mine became sensitive to how he lived his life. He became sensitive to the needs of the people around him. As he walked out his door he looked for ways to serve and protect those in his path.
But I want to go a “step” further (no pun intended). When we go out the door and move about our home or business why not have every step we take be an opportunity to love God more.
As I step out to water the flowers I praise him for His creation. As I step into the car to grocery shop I thank Him for His provision. As you step into the baby's room for a midnight feeding you ponder the strength He has given you to accomplish the task. As you step away from an argument you pray for the one with whom you have conflict. As you step away from your critical spirit you rejoice that His living, refreshing Spirit flows through you.

You see God has numbered our steps so let us learn to get everything we can out of the moment between when we pick our foot up and lay it back down again.

No comments:

Post a Comment