Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Devotional Snapshot 70 - Idolatry

"If you look too long at others or yourself, you commit the sin of idolatry." Carol Totten

"As Jesus and His disciples were on their way, He came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to Him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what He said. but Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to Him, and asked, "Lord, don't You care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not by taken away from her." Luke 10: 38-42

I have always taken this section of scripture to be referring to our tendency to be too busy. But just this morning as I awoke and my mind continued to meditate on yesterdays concerns the Lord brought these verses to mind.

I had just finished a wonderful weekend with family and friends. It was busy, but beautiful. Nevertheless, after it was all over I began to fret about some things I should have said differently, or not said at all. Why did I do this at an inappropriate time? Why didn't I consider this one's feelings or that one's feelings? Did I make someone uncomfortable? Did something pop out of my mouth that hurt someone I loved and I didn't even mean it that way?

I asked the Lord's forgiveness, but couldn't shake the sadness at failing others. Yesterday I chewed the cud of disappointment in myself and worry for others happiness and this morning I awoke and began to do the same again. Then my Mighty God broke through with His word.

He brought these verses to mind and I noticed it was not about the "serving" the Lord rebuked Martha for. Look! It is about chewing the cud of discontentment and worry about others. She was worried about making her guests happy and discontented that Mary was not joining her in the urgency to do it. "Martha, Martha...you are worried and upset about many things.."

"Carol, Carol, you have been focused on yourself enough, One thing is needed, choose what is better! Sit at my feet and listen."

Now if I refuse to obey this clear word spoken to me and continue to worry I will be committing idolatry. Another love replaces my Lord when I spend too much time thinking of me. If I can not lift my eyes up to heaven and praise His wonderful name today than I have a real sin to confess!

Is there a worry consuming your thoughts today? Have you considered that if you can not let it go and give it to God and worship Him, you are committing idolatry?

No comments:

Post a Comment