Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Devotional Snapshot 80 - Separation

"No aspect of the created order, nor any event or being within it, can end our enjoyment of the active love of God to us in Christ." Commentary on Romans 8:38, 39

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height not depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38, 39

I found about 15 pink balloons tied with red, white, and green ribbon in the trees across from my house. They had all popped and were hanging limply in the branches. I wondered if there would be a message on them and there was. I brought them home and tried to carefully pull the melded balloons apart so I could read all the writings. Only one clearly stuck out. I give it to you now.

"My fairytale prince and I are still doing amazing.
I love him so so so much! I am going to marry him.
I wish you could be there and be in the wedding.
We will dance for you!"

Whether these came from across town or across the United States, the message was meant for someone else. Someone no longer here. Someone dear to the writer. An event was about to happen of great importance to the sender of the balloons and a loved one would be missing. Was it a father? Was it a mother? Or a best friend who died too soon?

We do not know. But someone was missing. Someone was gone.

Our scripture in Romans reminds us once again that though we lose a loved one and can be separated by death from friends and family, we can never, never, never be separated from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. This scripture also reminds me that what I worry about is not of greater importance than the sure and constant love that I have in Christ. I am never alone, never abandoned. This scripture reminds me that even my sin can not separate me from the love of God because I believe and accept that Christ paid for all of yesterday's, today's, and tomorrow's failings.

And this love has a greater ability to bring us peace and joy than any human love on earth! Let us thank Him right now for this inseparable love.

Deuteronomy 31:8 "And the Lord, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed."

No comments:

Post a Comment