Friday, April 2, 2010

Devotional Snapshot 59 - Suffering

"It was a happy-hearted fact: God always seems bigger to those who need Him the most. And suffering is the tool He uses to help us need Him more." When God Weeps Tada pg.21

Psalm 119:71 "It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I may learn Your statutes."

While I was complaining to my adult son over the phone about my little cup of suffering, he interjected: "Mom, you and Dad are on a great adventure." It's interesting how that one comment changed my perspective of what we were going through.

Before my husband's resignation at his second church everything was pleasant and normal and routine. I knew what to expect each day and thought I knew what to expect from God; and very often I left Him alone to run the world while I quietly ran mine. But I wouldn't call it an adventure. As a matter of fact, I felt like I was drying up inside.

So in 2004 my husband resigned and God sent us to China. He pushed us into the unknown by His decree; painfully, tearfully, adventure returned. Everyday there was warfare to wage -to be unselfish, to love, to give up my way, to hope in the midst of rejection. My need was greater so my pleading was greater also.

In my bleating I find the Shepherd near. His rod and His staff comfort me.

I need the comfort, for every morning when I rise, a little fear, a little doubt, a little anger raise their ugly heads with the morning sun. I am not sure of tomorrow and because of that, I need you more today. The greater the adventure; the greater the affliction; the greater my God!

Does it help you to remember that what you may be asked to suffer is actually a great adventure with God? May our Lord help us all to draw closer and have more intimate fellowship when difficulty comes. I don't mean to sound glib about the pain you may be dealing with now. The Lord does not take your suffering lightly.

"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1Peter 5:7

No comments:

Post a Comment