Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Devotional Snapshot 64 - Women Retreat

"Maybe you're busier than Jesus because you haven't yet identified the number 1 priority." Grace Notes Ruth Koch

"Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Matthew 11:28, 29

The women's retreat at Red Rock Ranch was a gift from the Father. The gift was the time to pause, reflect, breathe, listen, praise, learn.

The Kansas country home beckons me to slow down and rest. I sit on an airy front porch, shoes kicked off, gently rocking back and forth in the broad cushioned swing. The light breeze carries the smell of newly mowed grass, tiger lilies and roses. How I love to hear the illusive morning dove coo her song of peace. Robins, orioles, cardinals, all with their clear distinct sound, break into chorus.

I breathe deep and listen long. Slow down and reflect. As Mary did in Luke 10, choose what is best and learn from Jesus. Sit at His feet. Rest a while. God gave us Matthew 11 because He was absolutely certain we women would become weary and burdened. And the clear and obvious solution is to carve out some "coming together time" with Jesus. Nothing else gives rest for the soul.

For you busy career women, baseball moms, you "stay at home" mothers with multi-aged children, time with Jesus may seem like a luxury for retirement. But for you, more than ever, you need Christ's teachings and the Spirit's refreshment.

Here's one idea on how I did it when I was a homeschool mom of two children. My husband [or hire a babysitter] watched the children and gave me a couple of hours every Saturday to have time with the Lord. I left the house so as not to be distracted or pulled in by the needs of the home. I would go to a cafe, or the lake, or a friend's home who was away [with her permission of course], or the empty church, or the library. My Bible, a journal, a hymn book, Bible study or Christian discipleship book, a prayer journal, verses to memorize on recipe cards, were all ready to go in my back pack. This kept me from wasting precious time trying to find what to read or where my Bible was. I would ask the Lord's help for anything that burdened me and asked Him to teach me through His word how to love Him better.

Somehow, someway each of us must find the time to commune with Christ. Life does not slow down on its own.

"[God said] 'This is the resting place, let the weary rest';...but they would not listen. So the, the word of the Lord to them will become: Do and do, do and do...." Isaiah 28:12, 13.

If you are offered the opportunity to attend a Christian women's retreat, pray about it and go if you can. Don't miss the time to engage with Jesus and your sisters in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment