Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Devotional Snapshot 65 - Persecution

"God works with souls like a jeweler works with gems. Once he finds and brings them to the Light, they are cut, polished, and placed in a setting of His choice." Amy Carmichael: Let the Little Children Come Lois Hoadley Dick

"In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted," 2Timothy 3:12

I am so ill prepared for persecution. Are you? My life has been one of ease and comfort. Don't get me wrong. I like ease and comfort. I like being praised. I like being surrounded by friends who are easy to love. I like teaching Bible lessons to women who basically agree with me. I like having my children safe in their homes. But scripture says if I want to lead a godly life I will suffer persecution.

So I need to ask myself some hard questions. Do I really want to live godly? Can Christ ask me to do or say a hard thing that will not be popular but will be Biblically true? Will I release with my blessing my children or grandchildren to a dangerous mission field in a foreign country? Will I go witness to my neighbor about the only way to heaven when I know she believes that concept to be an intolerant viewpoint? Will I disagree with the modern tolerant stand on a woman's right to her body [meaning abortion], and the right of any two people who are in love to marry [meaning homosexuality]? Is it a sign, dear Lord, that I am not following you very closely since I am not suffering persecution?

Yet, I am sure of this thing. I am Your child. I belong to You. And You know when and where and how to bring into my life what is needed to follow You more closely and love You more deeply. I am Yours, Lord, and I submit today to what You bring into my life. Only help me to obey You. When persecution comes help me not to shrink away.

"You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus...Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus." 2Timothy 2: 1, 3

No comments:

Post a Comment