Thursday, February 18, 2010

Devotional -Snapshot 14 - Pruning

"But God, who always has his eye on tomorrow as he deals with us today, never spoils his children, and the lifelong training course in holy living in which he enrolls us challenges and tests us to the utmost again and again." Great Grace J. I. Packer

"This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." John 15:8

I am to abide in Christ, remain in Him. He prunes my life so I can bear more fruit. It is His will that I be fruitful for it honors and glorifies God. The pruning process may be uncomfortable but it has a good result. Does He prune to keep me humble, sad, fearful, worried? ..."No". Instead that I might bear more fruit --more love, patience, gentleness, joy, peace, kindness, goodness, self control; more sensitivity to the Spirit's leading that I might become all things to all men that so that the gospel of Jesus Christ is displayed.

While in our public library I overheard two grandmas. "I told my granddaughter it was time for a nap and she put up such a fuss. 'No, no, I don't wanna lay down.' I finally gave her a swat and put her into bed with me. She lay there crying: 'I'm not going to sleep. I'm not going to sleep.' She said it only twice and promptly fell fast asleep." The two women were laughing as they walked out the door.

Just as the child needed to rest in order to enjoy the remainder of the day, so our Father knows what we need in order to enjoy the reality of His presence. Thank you , Lord, that You are in the pruning business with your beloved branches. "...every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit." John 15:2

I used to think My husband and I could only do small things because we were a small, sinful, insignificant people. But God's plan is that we bear more fruit and He's working on us to see that happen. "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you." vs. 16

Ten times in John 15 Christ says "remain in Me" - remain in my love, remain in the vine, remain in the Word. There is a responsibility, I must abide in Christ. Stay close. Be near. Daily receive nourishment. Let the Son rays warm me. Talk to Him. Believe.

Vs. 5 "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing."

Is there some pruning going on in your life? Don't fight God in the work He wants to do in your life. Submit to Him and repent.

No comments:

Post a Comment