Sunday, February 14, 2010

Devotional -Snapshot 6 - Anger

"God measures us by the character of our inner being, not by what we accomplish or what we do for Him." Jim Sheard

"Let them praise the name of the LORD, For His name alone is exalted; His glory is above the earth and heaven." Psalm 148:13
"For the LORD takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the humble with salvation."
Psalm 149:4
"Praise Him for His mighty acts; Praise Him according to His excellent greatness!" Ps. 150:2,6

I was out of the house by six in the morning. Walking about a half a mile I found a coffee shop to have my devotional. Beautiful big glass windows facing the Boulder, Colorado Flat Iron mountains. The sun is hitting the dark cliffs as clouds float low over its top. The cinnamon, chocolate smell of a variety of coffees usually puts me in a mood, but not today.

I should be rejoicing, but feel shame from sin, because I got mad at cards last night. How silly! How immature! How so like God to expose my sinful nature.

I had just said to my partner "don't worry its only a game." Then I treated our loss like a thermometer of my worth. "Loser", my mind called me. I gritted my heart. "Loser", I said to myself again. I responded with sarcasm as the opposing team said "did you take a hundred off your score?" "Yeeesss", Iiiiiii diiiiid," I replied smiling sweetly, but a tinge of sourness in my tone.

"What's the final score?" my husband asks. I toss him the paper to see for himself , refusing to add legitimacy to my "loser" status by announcing the disagreeable numbers.

So now I'm here at this beautiful coffee shop, with the great windows, facing the mountains. Nostalgic music is being piped perfectly around the airy room while my dark, creamy coffee steams from its cup ...and I feel miserable.

However big or small, sin stains the day.

Then Your word... "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord" ..."Rejoice in your Maker... be joyful in your King"... "For the Lord takes pleasure in His people; He will beautify the humble with salvation."

Your Word, the Logos, the Beginning and the End takes a small stained heart and beautifies it with salvation. Instead of the "loser" label; I confess: and am labeled "pleasurable". To the Mighty Creator of the universe I am one who brings pleasure! Unbelievable! Yet true!

How can you not praise! My heart is renewed and if the people silently, properly, sitting around me wouldn't call the police I would burst into a croaky song of thanksgiving.

"Praise Him for His mighty acts; Praise Him according to His excellent greatness." Ps. 150:2

Write down your prayers of praise to this God who forgives.

No comments:

Post a Comment