Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Devotional -Snapshot 34 - Too Busy

"We engage in spiritual disciplines to prevent the world from filling our lives to such an extent that there is no place left to listen." Henri Nouwen Devotional Classics

"As he journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven. Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?"
And he said, "Who are You, Lord?" Then the Lord said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads."
So he, trembling and astonished, said, "Lord, what do You want me to do?"
Then the Lord said to him, "Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do." Acts 9:3-6

Having another guilt ridden day -I should do this, I should do that. But I am reminded as I live this intense life of activity that "neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow." ICorinthians 3:7

Only You can accomplish a spiritual work. I can not do it with frenzied activity. Satan tries to draw me from You, rob me of joy because I'm not living up to my standard of a pastor's wife.

But being a pastor's wife should have no more responsibility than being a plumber's wife, a doctor's wife, a carpenter's wife. We are all called to be faithful to our husband and children.

Can I for Jesus' sake stop feeling guilty? Can I for Jesus' sake stop people pleasing? Can I for love of Christ not worry about my reputation or my husband's? Do I love Him enough to live moment by moment for Him? Can I still the accusing voices in my head and listen only to His? Can I trust God to lead and work through my husband and not constantly feel I need to micro-manage him?

The Lord knows how to stop us in our tracks as He did Saul in Acts 9:4. The Lord knows how to make himself known in the lives of His chosen -vs.5. The Lord knows how to accomplish His will through me day by day -vs.6. So stop the guilt, stop the worry, and let Him.

"May God grant us the ability to see how much we cost Him..." Teresa of Avila Devotional Classics

Are you too busy for God?

No comments:

Post a Comment