Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Devotional -Snapshot 47 - Independence

"If we know who we are, we will not try to become someone else in order to have value and meaning in our lives." The Search for Significance Robert McGee pg. 44

Romans 12:2 "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

I look at this twenty-something woman and I wonder, "What kind of an old lady will she be?" She has an Einstein mathematical formula tattooed on her left arm. Her long thick hair is twisted down her back in jet black dred-locks with red, yellow, blue beads braided in. A black knot of hair circles the top of her head like a pyramid. Black t-shirt, black pants, pale translucent skin, brown hiking boots, no socks, multiple chains and leather around her wrists finish off the "I am my own person" look.

So what will she do with her locks when she is 50, 60, 70?

Sometimes even in our nonconformity we copy the world with the"I don't need God" attitude. Our needing to be me, our drive for independence, the urge to live life my way is conforming to the world.

So now that brings us to you and me, is there anything ...the way we dress, the way we talk, who we spend time with, who we wish we could spend time with, the stuff we own, what we eat , that is conforming to the world more than being transformed into the image of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment