Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Devotional -Snapshot 44 - Discouraged

"Guilt-driven people are manipulated by memories."
The Purpose Driven Life Rick Warren pg. 27

"Character is both developed and revealed by tests...you are always being tested..."
The Purpose Driven Life Rick Warren pg. 43

2 Corinthians 10:4,5 "For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ."

Lord, I left this morning to be alone and think about You. I left while my extended family was stirring around and thinking about breakfast. I left quickly because if I linger I feel I must stay and be a part of the big breakfast event. By the time breakfast is over it is time for the cleaning of the day which I want to help with. If I don't go now then I will have to wait till evening.
I didn't leave angry. I left determined. "I'll be back in a while." "Have a good day," they reply.
It is good. So good to give my mind over to You -to confess my sins, plead for Your overcoming help, receive inspiration to love You and others better.

My mind plays tricks on me. It tries to hide my joy in You by covering it over with images of my failures. It whispers doubt of Your goodness and love toward us by only letting us see our life as missing the mark.

It is a deceiving organ that can color the day black when really it is sunny and clear. It brings in the fog and lays over the heart so it can not see the blue sky of God's sovereign, powerful grace shining on the world and bestowed daily on my life.

But I can play tricks, too. I have a card in the hat and it is greater than the mind. It will prevail. It is my hope and it is You. You bring every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. You give me discernment to reject the lies that the evil one would like me to believe. I want to be free of my one captivity -the prison which my fears and guilt have built, but I want to be captivated by you. Bring me in to obedient captivity to You.

What discouragement keeps rolling around in your head? Memorize 2Corinthians 10:4,5. Remember you have a Mighty God to win the battle of your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment