Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Devotional - Snapshot 46 - Severe Mercy

"God's love for us is God's doing what He must do, at great cost to Himself, so that we might have the pleasure of seeing and savoring Him forever." Don't Waste Your Life John Piper 36

Zechariah 1:3 Therefore say to them, 'Thus says the LORD of hosts: "Return to Me," says the LORD of hosts, "and I will return to you," says the LORD of hosts.

Even though the Lord was very angry in the preceding verse He still gives a resounding request. "Return to Me and I will return to you."

Even if my Savior is angry at my idol worship of self He still gives the open invitation to return and the promise to draw near to me when I return.

Years ago I was babysitting a two year old in my home. While he played in the kitchen I began a baking project. I panicked as I turned just in time to see him toddling to the stairway that led to the basement. I had forgotten to shut the door. These stairs were narrow and wooden and sat on a cement floor. He would most certainly get hurt, maybe seriously, if he tumbled down the steps.

I did what any average, caring mother would do...I yelled! "Jimmy! No!No! Get away from those stairs!" My loud voice startled him. He turned and looked at me with terrified eyes and began to cry. Then he did something surprising. He ran towards me crying and lifted up his arms to be picked up. I, the one who caused his fear, demanded his obedience, administered the loud rebuke, was being sought after to now bring comfort.

Even at this point, he trusted me to be good to him. I swooped him up in my arms and hugged and kissed him. I told him what a good boy he was to listen and obey.

Much more does God love and correct me. With such deep, infinite love never will He turn from me when I come running to Him.

Turn quickly. Lift up your arms to Him and receive His forgiveness and embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment