Thursday, March 11, 2010

Devotional -Snapshot 36 - The Flesh

"Self is the opaque veil that hides the Face of God from us. It can be removed only in spiritual experience, never by mere instruction...We must invite the cross to do its deadly work within us...we must prepare ourselves for an ordeal of suffering..." The Pursuit of God A.W. Tozer

" Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, 'Do you want to be made well?' " John 5:5-6

"But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of purity..." Ephesians 5:3 NIV

Today I am aware of my struggle with the world. Romantic fantasy thoughts plague my mind and would take my attention away from my husband. The pleasure of it can outweigh the pleasure of being with You. For this Lord, I am sorry. Though I ask forgiveness, confess and agree it is sin, I must constantly ask for power and strength to give You my thoughts. I am indeed a pleasure oriented person. That I could push a button and You would change me without my effort - this I would do without hesitation. But pushing buttons has never been what You offered to me. I must voluntarily turn my mind to You and with my will say: "Fleshy pleasurable thoughts! Go! I will give no more room for you!"

I am ashamed to say that though You are far more worthy and pleasurable I find this hard to do. Keep me in the battle, Lord. Do not let me give in to the self life nor feel comfortable with it.

In John 5:6 Jesus asks "Do you want to get well?" I would do good to ask this of myself. Do I really want to not experience my fantasy life? How badly do I want to get well?

Teach me to follow Your joy above and beyond anything else my flesh desires.

What fleshly temptation do you struggle with? We are in this together. He makes all things beautiful in His time.

No comments:

Post a Comment